French toast is an old dish. It originates from a time when food was scarce in Europe and not easily discarded as food waste. If you have some stale bread that you want to revive, you can try out this recipe.
- 6 slices of bread
- 150 ml (vegan) milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cooking oil
- Mix the milk, flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a deep plate.
- Whisk until reaching a smooth mixture without lumps.
- Warm the oil in a pan to a medium heat.
- Soak the slices of bread in the batter.
- Take the bread out the batter and let it drip for a few seconds.
- Fry the battered bread on both sides until it becomes brown.
- Top it off with some sugar, fruit, or jam.
Written by Mark Melchior